Monday, May 07, 2007

Refreshing

My mind has been so full of thoughts lately that everything just seems jumbled all together. There are so many needs and not enough people ministering (or so it seems) to those needs. I have been thinking about that last statement and feel compelled to ponder the "why not." Why are we not ministering to our brothers and sisters? I feel pretty comfortable in stating that there are countless reasons, especially when we bring it down to a personal level. Before this sounds like I am criticizing, I am totally NOT doing that, I want it to be known that I also realize there are many people/organizations that ARE ministering to the best of their ability. What I am referring to, is the the person sitting beside you on the church pew.

How well do we know that one that sits next to us? Do we know what they are dealing with day after day? Are we concerned? I have noticed that most of my friends and family that are serving the Lord, are kept so busy fighting spiritual battles, that they are constantly worn out. This alone has them beaten down and the thought of helping just one more is out of the question. Not because they don't want to, but because they feel there is nothing left to give or because they have let the devil convince them they are inadequate. How do I know this? I speak from experience.

I have sat on the pew and quietly thought about how I wanted to do more, but how could I? How could I possibly take on another burden onto my already overloaded "burden wagon?" Not that I would ever turn anyone away, verbally that is, but what about my actions? Were others able to see my almost flat, spiritual tires bending from all the pressure? Did this make me appear to be unapproachable? Dear Lord, I hope not. We are to carry things to Jesus, not for Him! I think this detail is forgotten somewhere along the journey.

So, as I am trudging along carrying all these burdens and just when I think I can't go another step, The Lord of hosts shows up! Suddenly our burdens are lifted away and we are refreshed and renewed by His Spirit! Nothing can compare to the presence Of God. This is exactly what happened in our Sunday morning service. The sweet presence of God surrounded us in His sanctuary and pointed us back to the cross and with "emptied wagons." I was reminded of the scripture in Acts 3:19 that I wanted to share.


19.Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.



Next time your wagon feels full, empty it out at the feet of Jesus. Don't try to carry it around needlessly. And by emptying it out, we will be able to minister to those that are hurting. I want others to see and feel the love of Christ in me. Only then will they be comfortable in letting me help carry their "load" to Jesus!

7 comments:

Denise said...

Beautifully said my friend, and so very true.

Unashamed said...

Thank you friend. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Seeing the needs all around me, but feeling like I have nothing left to give, like I can't possibly take on one more burden. Not my job to take it, is it?

Sharon said...

This is so true! I have to remind myself that by sending up prayers to our Father in Heaven for those that have needs is sometimes the only thing we can do. Do what physically is able to be done, then give it to the Lord. Prayer is powerful.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

One of the things I like so much about the structure/precedence at the church where we are now is a level of transparentness (is that a word? LOL) that I've never experienced before.

People request prayer for situations and failings they admit to that would absolutely horrify my keeping-up-apeparances family. As a result, I feel more effectual when praying for them or thinking of ways I could minister into their situation.

But, it is never beyond God's ability to lay on your heart *exactly* what someone would need...we just have to listen! *wink*

Lisa said...

Amen!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Beautiful post my friend. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. Love the pictures of your beautiful flowers.

Angel (Angel Mama Pearls of Wisdom)

Reformed Mama said...

I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to comment anyway...

First though, allow me to thank you for always posting such encouraging words on my blog. You are appreciated.

I've found that during those times when I feel like I can't do anything, but I have the desire to do something -- if I go ahead and make an effort, God blesses the action and I find I somehow have the energy and resources necessary to minister to others.

Seems backwards to act and then find the energy and resources, but I think faith is sometimes a backwards thing. We need to do the action and the rest will follow. Know what I mean?

Somehow... my wagon gets emptied when I minister to others. That's not to say that I am good at ministering to others while I am wallowing - I am not. Just saying that when I do it's always worth it.