Saturday, April 12, 2008

Having A Made Up Mind

It started off as just an ordinary afternoon. I wasn't looking for anything adventurous at all. My lovely daughter was only working half a day and asked if I would go with her to the animal shelter when she got off work. Sure, I told her, BUT I am NOT going to get a dog! I knew I couldn't take her to the animal shelter without taking my son. He has asked me on several occasions to take a quick ride over and just "look" at the animals and I have turned him down each time. So, I waited until his dad picked him up from school and off we went. I reminded them once again while in the parking lot that we were just looking and we were NOT getting a dog.


The building which now accommodates the strays and others is newly constructed. It's much nicer than the former building that was very old and smelly. Upon entering, we had to sign in before we could be taken to the back to view the barking creatures. I could never work at a place like this. My heart would break too badly, not to mention that I wouldn't have one extra inch of space to keep all those poor babies. As we strolled in front of the cages, I still reminded myself that we were NOT going to get a dog. No, not today.......


While I was upfront filling out the adoption paperwork, *smile* my daughter was on her way home to trade vehicles in order to transport the newest member of our family. *sigh* I knew I shouldn't have agreed to this trip, but then again, we wouldn't have Roscoe. Roscoe had just arrived earlier in the day. Bless his heart. His previous owner was being deployed and had to give him up. I am sure it broke his heart to do so. I feel certain that he loved this beautiful dog, as he was well cared for. I wish I knew who it was just so I could let them know that he doesn't have to worry about him anymore.














Hmmmm.....he actually looks a little sad in these pictures, but I assure you he has jumped, ran, and played all afternoon. I think he might be a little sad that we had to come inside and leave him out.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Oh Roscoe is so cute and now he has another nice family to love him.

Denise said...

Congrats on your new family member, he is so cute.

Melanie said...

He is so cute! I don't think he's sad- I think he's giving us the puppy dog eyes so we'll send him some treats ;)

Anonymous said...

That's a very pretty german shepard you've got!!! Does he speak any other languages??

Sharon said...

Roscoe is adorable! He is going to love it at your house! :)

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Congrats on your new doggie baby! Ya havin' a doggie shower? *wink*

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Oh congratulations!!! Its amazing how they just become a member of the family!! Have fun!!!!~Wendy

eph2810 said...

Roscoe is adorable. See, and that is the reason why my beloved and I are not going to the animal shelter, because we have even more dogs than the two we already have *smile*.
I am glad though that you made the trip, Debbie. I am sure that he will have a wonderful home with you all.

Dapoppins said...

I haven't been to our local shelter.

This is why.

Karen said...

I'm sitting here smiling, as I've also been down that "we're just looking" path. ;o)
Roscoe is just too precious! I couldn't have resisted, either.
Enjoy!

Unashamed said...

I totally forgot to ask you about your puppy when we talked. (I was too excited I think) Can't wait to meet him though!!

Thursday's Child said...

He's adorable. Once when I was pregnant with the Boss and out of school for a snow day DH suggested going to the pound. I'd always told him I'd never go there unless we were going there to adopt. So that's how we got General. He was the sweetest little guy.

Our current dog (the other two are back in the States...but not General since he died of cancer a few years ago) is a German Shepherd we got at Friday Market. She was underweight when we got her but she's healthy as a horse now and you don't mess with her two-legged, hairless puppes. LOL

Dogs from places like that are the best. They know how lucky they are to have you.