Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sucessful Surgery!

It has been a cloudy and drizzling day on the outside, but a wonderful day of praise and gratitude unto God. My cousin called me about 11:30 a.m. to inform me that my aunt was being taken to surgery 3 hours ahead of time. I was totally unprepared for this and was in a race to get to the hospital before they took her back.

The hospital parking area has been under construction for some time now. This means that parking has been redirected to a large lot a few blocks away where shuttle buses then transport you to the main entrance. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. By the time I pulled into the lot and parked, two of the shuttles had already collected their umbrella waving passengers and headed out, leaving the smell of diesel fuel behind.

I dropped my umbrella on the wet pavement trying to get to the bus stop. I was trying to hurry because I thought the next shuttle would be rounding the corner any second. NOT. I didn't bring a jacket with me cause I just knew it was going to be warmer out than it was. Well, it wasn't. It was cool and in the forties, and I was standing jacketless under a leaking shelter. Praise God! I am really not complaining here. Just sharing what happened. *smile*

I finally made it to the surgical floor to find my aunt's surgery in progress. I was a little dissapointed, but I knew I didn't have to be there. God was there long before I arrived and His presence is the most important. The surgery was to take between an hour and an hour and a half. Patiently we waited. It was two and a half hours before the doctor would come in and give us the report.

All is well. She sailed right through it. (his words) Didn't loose much blood so she didn't need to be given blood. He kept telling us how smoothly the surgery went as if he was surprised. I wasn't. I knew all along that the prayers of His saints had been effective. The Lord had been there from the beginning, guiding the entire process. Faithful is He, as always.

We were anxious to see her, but had to wait until the nurses had her stable and back in her own room. She was still very groggy from the medication, as expected, but she spoke immediately as we entered. I overheard the nurse expressing concern over the amount of visitors she had. I decided I would leave since I had "checked in" on her. As I was saying my goodbyes, her son and his wife decided to leave also. Then, her other son (the only one there) decided he wanted to go and get something to eat. This would leave no one there with her. He then asked me if I wanted to sit with her for awhile. I did. She would doze off and on to sleep. I just sat in the chair beside her bed looking at her face. I could see the relief she felt of having the surgery behind her. I could also feel the wonderful peace of God in that room. I can never thank Him enough for His care. Hallelujah!!


Denise said...

Thank You dear heavenly Father for guiding the surgeons hands, and allowing debbies aunt to have a successful outcome. We love You Lord.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Praise Him! Soooo glad everything went well - other than your travel there! You are a good niece! *wink*

Unashamed said...

This is such good news. What a nerve-racking time this could have been, but your faith that God is in control through it all was/is unwavering. The peace that He gives is such a wonderful blessing. I too praise Him!

Anonymous said...

Praising God ;)! He is able.

Sharon said...

Even though I'm finding out about this after the fact, I am thankful that our Heavenly Father had His Hand in this whole situation. Praise God!