Monday, April 09, 2007

Trusting God

Update

My aunt had the stress test today. Praise God! She came through it just fine. Thank-you, my friends, for your prayers. She is feeling so much better today. I know that she feels more at ease about the surgery, which is now scheduled for tomorrow. I appreciate you all so much. It is so heartwarming to come to my "spot" and find the comments of concern and encouragement. It means more to me than you know.



It's never easy watching someone you love suffer in pain. My aunt, bless her heart, fell two weeks ago and broke her shoulder. She is sixty-five, long divorced and basically lives alone. Immediately after falling, she was taken to the hospital. This is when she was told it was broken. The shoulder was placed in a sling and she was told to return by fifth of April to see what was happening with it. She was informed at this appointment that it was not healing the way they had hoped it would. This would mean surgery would be necessary. Not what she wanted to hear.


She called me in tears with last Thursday evening with the news. Worry was all around her. "Can you please go with me?" she asked. She always wanted a daughter, but since she had all boys instead, four to be exact, she adopted me. A role that has been a pleasure. This is my mother's sister and one of the most unselfish people I know. My mother and father were divorced when I was four years old. Needless to say, it was alot tougher on single mothers at that time. The resources were not readily available as they are now. Money was not always there for the extras, but this aunt made sure I, and my siblings had plenty for Christmas. She ordered our presents from the Sears catalog right along with her boy's items. This secret was not revealed until recently.


Her surgery was scheduled for this morning. I knew she would have an anxious night of worry, so before bed I prayed for her. I prayed for peace, comfort, and rest to be unto her. After my time of prayer, I felt the need to call her and let her know that everything was going to be fine and that I would meet her at the hospital. One of her sons and his wife wanted to drive her there.


She was taken back shortly after arriving. The nurse told us we could go back and visit with her after the prep, two at a time, until she was to be transported to the surgical area. By this time, her other two sons had arrived. I wanted to go back and pray with her before she was taken out (I knew she wanted this too), but I didn't want to intrude on her children's time. I chose to wait it out and go in only if the boys suggested it. They did.


When I got back there to her, she was nervous, of course, and had been poked several times without success. Her veins had collapsed. I sat down and we prayed. She had a heart attack several years ago and this impending surgery was a concern. They came to take her to the surgical waiting area and took us to a larger family room. This cut the visitors to one. She was told only one person could stay with her until the anesthesia was administered. She seemed to be calmer, but this was temporary.


After the routine anesthesiologist questioning, her anxiousness returned. He was concerned that her heart doctor had not signed off her surgery. He told us he was going to call the cardiologist before proceeding. I knew this put more worry into motion for her. I tried to calm her. I told her that whatever happened we were going to look at it as God's will because we had placed it in His hands. He always knows what is best.


It wasn't long before the answer came from the cardiologist. NO. He wanted her to have a stress test before having this surgery. All the while, my aunt thought all of these concerns had been addressed before now. Here we were in pre-op, and there has been a change of plans. I have never heard of this happening before, but I know God was in it. Why not today? I can't explain that. I just trust the wisdom of God and know that He sees everything we can't.

My aunt has now been placed in a private room where she will be taken care of until the stress test is given. She is relieved, to say the least. Please pray for her to heal quickly either way.

10 comments:

Denise said...

Bless your aunts dear heart, I will be in much prayer for her. Bless you for being a prayer warrior for your aunt. I love you my friend.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Oh, Debbie! What a day! But, you are obviously a blessing to her and a prayer warrior for her! Good for you for remaining "in the Spirit", remebering that there must be an overall Plan. *wink* Tell us how it turns out, please.

Anonymous said...

Praising God for the CARDIOLOGIST's devotion to her care!! For the anesthesiologist's concern!! Praise God. Praise Him. God works in mysterious ways. I'll be lifting up your aunt. My heart goes out to her. So many divorces. In my family as well. And you're right: times were NOT KIND towards women of their time. So thankful you were there to pray and she has time to reflect and go to God! I'll check back here; I always check this blog ;). Glad you're the 'daughter' she never had.

Unashamed said...

It sounds like you have a very special relationship with your aunt. Praying for both of you. Is there any news yet?

Allison said...

Praying of course...please keep us posted!

Denise said...

Has your aunt had the stress test yet? I am praying for you both.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I have never heard that before either. Maybe it was not her day to have the surgery. I will lift her up in prayers.

Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Praise God for the good news!!

Denise said...

Praise God, this is wonderful news. I will be keeping her in my prayers concerning her surgery. I love you my friend.

Unashamed said...

Thank you Lord Jesus for answering prayers.